Painting a concrete terrace with concrete floor paint is a good solution if you want to obtain excellent long-term resistance.
This paint protects, embellishes, or decorates it for remarkable resistance to external aggressions.
Balconies, stairs, or terraces very often remain in their original gray appearance. This color is not always very beautiful and remains very difficult to clean afterward.
It is, therefore, interesting to customize a concrete or cement floor to give it a slightly trendier appearance.
The flooring resin is ideal for terraces, balconies, stairs, slabs, or door sills. It remains insensitive to the sun, light, and ultraviolet.
It is very resistant to discoloration and yellowing of color over time.
This polyurethane paint is very resistant to dirt, soiling, aggressive detergents, and corrosive chemicals. It has a high degree of resistance to abrasion, scratches, scratches, and impact without flaking. It is perfectly suited for renovations on old concrete or cement terraces thanks to its excellent adhesion.
To prepare a concrete terrace, you must first clean the surface with pressure, repair cracks, and carefully sand the roughness of the concrete.
• Pressure cleaning: it is recommended to use a high-pressure machine if possible. It cleans the entire surface to remove all dust, dirt, and other non-adherent residues. The pressure should be between 80 and 100 bars maximum so as not to risk damaging the surface.
• Repair the cracks: it is important to widen the apparent crack carefully. Then use a repair mortar or a filling plaster on the parts to be repaired. To finish, all you need to do is carefully smooth the excess with a suitable spatula.
• Sand the roughness: after a drying time of more or less 24 hours of the repair cement, it is advisable to sand with coarse sandpaper, steel wool n ° 4, or a sander equipped with disc slats. You must finish by vacuuming to remove the dust.
Add a Primer
• Painting a concrete terrace with the floor primer, allows good adhesion of the floor covering. This undercoat is imperative if you want a good performance of the paint system afterward.
• Temperature conditions: paint cannot be used when the temperature conditions are too high or too low. Paint only when the temperature is sufficiently mild. It is generally advisable to work within a temperature range between 20 and 25 ° C.
• Apply the primer: it plays the role of adhesion enhancement to allow better cohesion between the finish paint and the concrete. It is used with a roller fitted with a two-component sleeve positioned on a telescopic handle. It is applied in a thin layer over the entire material in a very regular manner.
• Leave to dry well: Observe a sufficient drying time before covering the paint with another layer. Wait for at least 2 hours to prevent delamination, sogginess, or curling.
Before painting a concrete terrace, you must first mix the hardener well, dilute the paint if it is too thick before applying it with the appropriate tool.
• Mix the hardener: The base and the hardener must be mixed very intimately using a drill equipped with a suitable mixer. Pour the hardener without precipitation to have a very homogeneous mixture.
• Apply the paint: you have to start by using a paintbrush to brush the sealing posts, angles, and edges. You can continue by applying the paint with a flat paintbrush on the riser. Complete the work by using a roller fitted with a lacquering sleeve over the top of the step.
The Bottom Line
Painting is the easiest and cheapest way to transform your home almost instantly.
It can boost the aesthetic appeal, make your walls easy to clean and maintain and protect your home against moisture damage and mold growth.
Need professional help to repaint your home exterior? New Haven Painters can help.